Replacing a gas tap in an apartment is a very responsible and dangerous procedure. In accordance with current regulations, it must be carried out by specialists with the necessary experience, knowledge and equipment. However, such an opportunity is not always available, sometimes you have to change the gas tap in the apartment yourself. To do this efficiently and safely, you need to know how to choose a new device correctly or repair an old one, and most importantly, the rules for carrying out work on a gas pipeline.
Varieties of gas taps for an apartment
When planning to replace a gas valve, it is necessary to correctly select equipment that must correspond to the parameters of the gas system in the apartment. There is a wide range of cranes on sale, but not all of them are suitable for installation.
By design, they are divided into the following types:
- Cork. Opening and overlapping is carried out by a tapered element with a hole, which is aligned with the inner channel of the pipe when the handwheel rotates.
- Ball. Locking occurs by turning the inner ball with a cutout that coincides with the section of the line. The manipulation is performed in half a turn.
Ball valves are considered more reliable and durable.
Methods for attaching to pipes:
- Threaded. The product is screwed onto the channel along the internal thread using seals.
- Flanged. The fragments are connected by flanges, and the final fixation is done with bolts and nuts.
- Welded. The parts are fastened with a welding machine.
The first two options are removable and reusable, and the third is disposable.
According to the degree of gas transmission, valves are divided into the following categories:
- full bore - 90-99%;
- standard bore - 70-90%;
- partial bore - 30-70%.
In systems of low and standard pressure, products with medium and high permeability are put. For high-pressure lines, a low-traffic version is used.
The valves are designed for the following design pressure indicators:
- average - up to 3 kgf / cm²;
- high - from 3 kgf / cm².
Typically, the pressure in the household network is not much higher than atmospheric pressure. To replace the valve, almost all commercially available models of the corresponding size are suitable.
The most reliable products are considered to be brass, which are resistant to corrosion and have the longest service life. These indicators are somewhat worse for iron cranes. Plastic valves are the most unreliable, fragile and wear out quickly.
Before changing the gas valve, you should familiarize yourself with the main criteria that characterize the quality and reliability of products.
- Life time. Given the specifics of replacing the gas valve, it should be carried out as rarely as possible. Based on this, the minimum period is 10 years.
- Manufacturer. Preference should be given to proven brands and dealers. It is not recommended to purchase products from the PRC. The best choice would be products from Italy, Germany, Poland and France.
- Type of marking. All symbols must be clear, without spaces, curvatures and sagging. Plus to this - complete information about the brand, dimensions, pressure, material and standard.
- Quality.The inner element must completely cover the lumen, have a perfect polish without mechanical damage. The presence of iron in the product is checked with a magnet.
When buying, you should ask the seller for a certificate to make sure that the product is not a fake.
Reasons for replacing the gas valve
There can be many technical and aesthetic reasons for replacing a gas valve in a kitchen.
The most common are the following:
- A leak. This is the most dangerous condition that occurs in the system. The gas entering the room can cause poisoning, which is fraught with a deterioration in well-being, the death of the tenants of the apartment. The worst consequence is an explosion, capable of destroying an entire staircase and leading to an emergency condition of the entire building.
- Tight turning, seizing. This phenomenon indicates that the internal parts of the valve are dirty. Since the product is not collapsible, it must be replaced. A faulty tap can break down completely, depriving the owners of the apartment of the opportunity to turn off the gas when required.
- Inconsistency with the interior. Old, bent and covered with several layers of paint products do not fit into the style of modern rooms.
- End of the valve's warranty period. There is no need to take risks in such cases, it is better to make a replacement.
In accordance with the rules for using household gas networks, stopcocks can only be changed by trained representatives of the public service who have permission to perform such activities.
Installation and replacement instructions
The simplest solution is to write and submit an application to the gas office.
After receiving a positive answer and setting a repair time, you need to do the following:
- Buy a gas valve corresponding to the parameters of the system.
- Prepare an agreement with the management company, a passport and technical specifications.
- Burn out the gas in the pipe and stove. To do this, the valve is closed and all burners are ignited.
- Provide high-quality ventilation of the kitchen. Close the ventilation grilles.
- Check the correctness of the work by the master.
- Check the tightness of the connections and the functionality of the system.
- Make sure that the appropriate mark is made in the documentation, certified by the signature and seal.
- After complete ventilation of the room, open the ventilation openings.
If the repair is carried out on your own, you need to prepare for it.
For work you will need:
- 2 gas keys or pliers;
- FUM tape or tow with paint;
- plug, if restoration of an existing valve is planned;
- materials for closing ventilation openings;
- graphite grease;
- assembly gloves;
- gauze bandage;
- protective glasses.
After that, the following actions are performed:
- The apartment is de-energized in a panel located at the entrance. A warning sign is posted or a post is posted.
- Windows open, kitchen doors close. The cracks are sealed with wet rags.
- The valve is moved to the closed position. Gas is burned out in the pipe and plate. Then the flexible hose is disconnected.
- The new product is being prepared for installation. Graphite grease is applied to its threads. A tape is taken out of the FUM package, a strip 3-4 cm long is released.
- The old valve is unscrewed. This is done with two keys. One holds the pipe, while the other removes the part.
- The pipe is plugged with a finger, the thread is cleaned with a rag from dirt and dust. Then the FUM tape is wound on it.
- If maintenance of an operating valve is planned, a plug is screwed onto the pipe. After that, you can slowly service the product.
- Place the valve in the closed position and screw onto the pipe. It should not be tightened too tightly, as this makes it possible to break the thread, and this is fraught with great complications.
In conclusion, the tightness of the connection is checked. This is done in a time-tested way - with soapy water. If bubbles appear, the process is repeated until the desired result is achieved.
When replacing the gas valve, a general disconnection from the electricity is mandatory, since an accidental spark can cause an explosion. You need to work with open windows, wearing goggles and gloves in order to protect your own health. It is necessary to exclude the ingress of gas into the general ventilation system, neighboring rooms and the entrance.