In order for OSB plates to last a long time, they need to be putty or painted. Despite the protective coating, they absorb moisture, which can lead to swelling and rotting of the material in the future. The duration of operation and the appearance of the entire coating depend on the quality of finishing work.
Description and features of OSB boards
OSB (OSB) -plates are oriented strand sheetsmade from wood chips by pressing and gluing under the influence of high temperatures. Coniferous shavings, in which there is resin, serving as a sticky material, acts as a wood raw material.
Sheets / slabs are impregnated with refractory compounds to prevent ignition. They are also protected from moisture and are resistant to aggressive weather conditions.
When do you need to putty
Putty of OSB boards is necessary for all types of finishing works, providing for the creation of a smooth surface. In the future, it is subject to painting, plastering, wallpapering. This allows:
- protect wood material from heat and fumes;
- prevent mechanical or chemical damage during operation;
- reduce the risk of various stains;
- disguise installation defects and flaws;
- create a solid base, hide the texture of the shavings;
- increase the level of adhesion and resistance to finishing materials.
It is imperative to putty in rooms where the air humidity exceeds normal values.
Varieties and properties of putties
The quality and safety of the work performed depends on how correctly the putty for OSB is chosen. Gypsum and cement putty compounds are not suitable for these tasks. It is better to use oil-glue and polymer mixtures.
Oil and glue mixture
Includes in the main composition drying oil, glue, water, plasticizers, thickeners, substances with antiseptic properties. Not compatible with plastering, but excellent for surfaces in well-heated rooms. Such a mixture used before painting or wallpapering... The composition, with skillful application, seals up defects up to 0.5 cm deep.
Consists latex and acrylic - polymers, which are quite popular in modern construction. These materials are successfully used in any premises, including bathrooms, country houses, kitchens. They go well with further finishes.
It allows you to form a very durable coating, but has many disadvantages. Of these, especially stand out high cost, toxicity, limited by a small work surface. Therefore, such compounds are more often used in the process of car repair. For large-scale construction work, such a putty is considered unsuitable.
Criterias of choice
It is necessary to choose a filler for OSB taking into account the composition of the building material and the plate itself. The product must have:
- high level of adhesion, hardness;
- homogeneous consistency after mixing (manual or instrumental);
- the ability to uniformly solidify;
- low shrinkage, which minimizes cracking during material drying;
- ease of distribution over the working surface (especially important for work at home);
- fast-drying properties, providing the possibility of further finishing the treated surfaces.
The putty should be made on an adhesive, synthetic or oil base. This allows you to avoid material rolling, to create a dense protective layer, and not to interfere with further finishing.
Recommendations for OSB puttying
Putty work is carried out exceptionally warm, with air humidity no more than 60%... When applying the composition to the ceiling, four layers must be performed. They will allow masking the fiberglass mesh and leveling the surface layer.
Tools and materials
To process an OSB slab, you must have sandpaper, a rubber spatula, a trowel, a roller, a container for mixing the composition (if necessary), a drill with a mixer nozzle, and a serpentine on hand to reinforce the joints.
Preparing the walls
Before puttingtying OSB-plates, it is necessary to process the working area primer. So the wood surface will reliably adhere to the putty mixture. It will also prevent the bleed-through of substances that fill the wood (for example, essential oils). After priming, you must wait 3-12 hours to dry completely.
OSB putty for internal work is applied to the surface to be treated, leveling with a wide spatula with smooth arched movements. The starter coat allows you to fill in all gaps and defects. Avoid the formation of streaks during work.... After the first layer has dried, sand the coating with abrasive paper.
The most popular and popular brands of putties for OSB boards are:
- SOPPKA... Composition of universal action, intended for finishing wood and chipboard layers. Gives them reliable adhesion, strength, durability. Has an increased level of snow-white, easy to use.
- NEOMID. A mixture based on polymers and water. Provides an even, smooth finish after application. In the process of work, it does not spread. After final hardening, it can be sanded, wallpapered, painted.
- Semin sem... A putty compound that is successfully used both for interior decoration and for facade work. It is used in the decoration of rooms with high air humidity. The formed layer does not crack, has moisture resistance and increased elasticity. If interior finishing is planned, it is not necessary to prime the surface before applying the mixture. During external work, the composition can be combined with facade soil.
If the putty did not show the declared qualities, experts believe that this is due to the miscalculations of inept craftsmen or the acquisition of a fake.